3902 W Main, Suite B   
Durant, Oklahoma 74701   
Phone: 580-924-5673
Fax: 580-931-0805

Flooded road

Floods are one of the most common hazards in the United States, however not all floods are alike. Some floods develop slowly, while others such as flash floods, can develop in just a few minutes and without visible signs of rain. Additionally, floods can be local, impacting a neighborhood or community, or very large, affecting entire river basins and multiple states.

Flash floods can occur within a few minutes or hours of excessive rainfall, a dam or levee failure, or a sudden release of water held by an ice jam. Flash floods often have a dangerous wall of roaring water carrying rocks, mud and other debris. Overland flooding, the most common type of flooding event typically occurs when waterways such as rivers or streams overflow their banks as a result of rainwater or a possible levee breach and cause flooding in surrounding areas. It can also occur when rainfall or snowmelt exceeds the capacity of underground pipes, or the capacity of streets and drains designed to carry flood water away from urban areas.

Be aware of flood hazards no matter where you live or work, but especially if you are in low-lying areas, near water, behind a levee or downstream from a dam. Even very small streams, gullies, creeks, culverts, dry streambeds or low-lying ground that appear harmless in dry weather can flood.

Before a Flood

What would you do if your property were flooded? Are you prepared?

Even if you feel you live in a community with a low risk of flooding, remember that anywhere it rains, it can flood.  Just because you haven't experienced a flood in the past, doesn't mean you won't in the future.  Flood risk isn't just based on history; it's also based on a number of factors including rainfall , topography, flood-control measures, river-flow and tidal-surge data, and changes due to new construction and development.

In addition to having flood insurance, knowing following flood hazard terms will help you recognize and prepare for a flood. To prepare for a flood, you should:

  • Build an emergency kit family communications plan. Avoid building in a floodplain unless you elevate and reinforce your home. Elevate the furnace, water heater and electric panel in your home if you live in an area that has a high flood risk. Consider installing "check valves" to prevent flood water from backing up into the drains of your home. If feasible, construct barriers to stop floodwater from entering the building and seal walls in basements with waterproofing compounds.


What you should know about Flood Insurance

People often underestimate the risk of flooding, even though 25-30 percent of all flood insurance claims are paid on homes in low to moderate risk flood zones. The problem is, people often don’t realize that damage to your home caused by flood water is not covered by a standard home insurance policy. Flood Insurance is a separate policy that you can only purchase from the National Flood Information Program (NIFP) and a few private insurers. The protection you need may cost less than you think – and if you experience a loss, you’ll find the coverage is priceless. Here are some things to consider:

Clarification of coverage. If you found the earlier information enlightening, likely you’re next thought is, “I know my policy covers some kind of water damage, what’s the difference?” A standard home policy usually covers storm damage such as hail, fire or lightening, sleet, ice, and snow. Most insurance will also cover water damage caused by plumbing, household appliances, or an emergency sprinkler system. In other words, if your roof relocates to the attic after a hail storm or your washer decides to imitate Buckingham fountain, you’re probably protected with a standard home policy. If your living room gets a bath in run-off water from a nearby drainage ditch, however, you’re going to wish you had flood insurance.

The devastating effects of floods. Recovering personal belongings after a flood is often impossible. Not only has your home been exposed to unfiltered ground water but also any contaminating elements picked up along the way such as hazardous chemicals and even sewage. Flood victims often have to start from scratch, which can be a huge financial burden if paid entirely out of pocket.

Cost varies based on coverage and flood risk. All flood insurance is underwritten and rates set by the NFIP. Homeowners can buy as little as $20,000 building coverage and $8,000 content coverage for $112 per year. Higher coverage up to a maximum of $250,000 building coverage with $100,000 content coverage is available. Renters can buy $8,000 content coverage for as little as $39 per year with content coverage up to $100,000 available.

Don’t wait for weather. In most cases, flood insurance has a 30-day waiting period. If the forecaster says heavy rain is coming this week, it’s too late to buy flood insurance. 

Call, come by, or request a quote online today!!

AAA Tips on Vehicle Insurance Claims:

  • Car owners should contact their insurance company to determine the extent of coverage before seeking repairs.
  • Take photographs of any visible damage.
  • Any vehicle sustaining flood damage should be fully inspected before being allowed back on the road. Mechanical components, computer systems, engine, transmission, axles, brake system and fuel system impacted by water contamination may render the vehicle unfit to drive and in many cases vehicles sustaining significant water damage will be determined to be a total loss.
  • The "comprehensive" coverage of an automobile insurance policy pays for flood damage to a vehicle, and this is minus the deductible – same in the case of a tree falling in the vehicle. The payment would be for ACV (Actual Cash value) less the deductible.


My name is Jennifer Malone. 

I am the newest Agent here at Powell Insurance and I am way excited to have the opportunity to SAVE you MONEY this year with all your insurance needs.

So don't hesitate to call or come see me and let me show you how we can SAVE you MONEY..

3902 W Main St Durant Ok 74701


Thank you

Jennifer Malone


AAA Tips on Homeowners Insurance Claims:

  • The first step to recovery is inspecting your home for damage and then notifying your insurance.
  • agent or company representative as soon as possible.
  • Prepare an inventory and take photographs of damaged property.
  • Store undamaged property in a protected place if possible.
  • If carpet is soaked, remove the carpet and the carpet pad. Keep a two-foot square piece for the claims adjuster.
  • If you detect hazards such as broken or leaking gas lines, flooded electrical circuits, submerged furnaces or electrical appliances and damaged sewage systems contact emergency response authorities or local utilities immediately.
  • Proceed with extreme caution as you inspect your basement. There may be hazards from electrical lines and heating units. If your basement has flooded, do not pump it out all at once. Remove about one-third of the water per day. The wet ground surrounding your basement may cause the floors to buckle and the walls to collapse.
  • Remove contaminated materials from the home. Be aware of exposure to mold.
  • Carpeting, mattresses and upholstered furniture should be disposed of or cleaned and disinfected by a professional cleaner.
  • Cover broken windows and other holes to prevent further damage.
  • Test drywall for moisture softness. If soft, cut holes at base to help dry out.
  • If possible run AC, dehumidifier and fans constantly.
  • If power is out, disconnect all computers and appliances from electrical sources.
  • Open cabinet doors and elevate furniture allowing air to circulate.
  • Save wet books or photo albums by putting them on edge in a frost free freezer.
  • If at all possible be present when the adjuster inspects your damage.

AAA Tips on Tree Damage Insurance Claims (Homes & Vehicles):

  • If your car is damaged by a fallen tree or limbs, then you would need to file a claim using your vehicle policy’s comprehensive coverage.
  • If your tree falls on your house, your insurance will cover removal of the tree and home repairs due to damage minus your deductible.
  • If your tree falls on your neighbor’s house, your neighbor’s homeowners policy would provide insurance coverage. The same holds true if your neighbor’s tree falls on your home; you would file a claim with your own insurance company.
  • If a tree falls in your yard, but doesn’t hit anything, you would pay for its removal in most cases.
  • Additionally, if a tree on your property is weak, damaged, or decayed, but you do nothing about it, and it crashes down, you could be held liable for damages.

A surety bond is a contract or agreement between three parties, where a principle party takes out the bond, similar to an insurance policy, to cover that work will be done or done in regards to proper business regulations.

These range from performance bonds, which simply guarantee that the contracted work is completed to licensing bonds that protect consumers in various fields.

We are proud to now offer surety bonds to businesses in the Durant, OK area!